Could not open J-Link shared library. Exiting now

I have installed seggar systemview V3.20 on my ubuntu 20.04. The installation was successful but, when I try to run sytemview in my terminal, it gives an error

Could not open J-Link shared library. Exiting now.

I followed the below link from segger to solve the issue but I am unable to find /lib64/libudev.so.1 in my pc. After some research, I found that segger for Linux is missing some dependencies and I have to install jlink to make segger run. So when I tried to install jlink deb package it’s giving me this error :woozy_face:

dpkg: error processing archive JLink_Linux_V684a_x86_64.deb (--install): 
trying to overwrite '/etc/udev/rules.d/99-jlink.rules', which is also in package segger-jlink-udev-rules 6.56a

I don’t know how to fix this error.

https://wiki.segger.com/Could_not_open_J-Link_shared_library

Its seems like jlink is already installed on you PC. The above error is due to a conflict between udev rule in your installation pakage and already existing rule in your PC.

1 Like

I have not installed jlink before. This is the first time I am trying to install jlink in my PC.

You probably have not installed jlink but you may have installed software from ST. Have you installed any IDE softwares from ST like STM32Cube or OpenSTM32 workbench??

Yes, I have already installed stm32 cube ide in my PC.

I have also tried deleting the existing udev rule /etc/udev/rules.d/99-jlink.rules and tried to install the Jlink package again. But no change, I get the same error

dpkg: error processing archive JLink_Linux_V684a_x86_64.deb (--install): 
trying to overwrite '/etc/udev/rules.d/99-jlink.rules', which is also in package segger-jlink-udev-rules 6.56a

Don’t delete the udev rule, it won’t work like that. You have to remove the STM32 Cube IDE first and then install the jlink package. Another workaround is force install the jlink package.

dpkg --force-all -i JLink_Linux_V684a_x86_64.deb

This is not the best method, but I hope this will definitely work.

3 Likes

Done force installing jlink as you mentioned. It worked. Now I am able to open the seggar sytemview.

Thank you so much, admin.

2 Likes