How long can I run a nodemcu?

How long can I run a nodemcu continuously powering? It’s also bit heating. I also provide heating also. Can anyone help me? pls

1 Like

Actually, an ESP8266 can run for years if configured properly. For that, you have to reduce the power consumption of ESP8266. There are several ways to do reduce power consumption. One way is by force enter ESP to deep sleep when idle. Nowadays all microcontroller comes with deep sleep features. All you have to do is, enable it when needed.

I can’t figure out why your nodemcu is heating because you have not shared any details other than ‘It’s also bit heating’. Share more details like schematics, code, etc.

I didn’t get what do you mean by this statement.

1 Like

Sorry I mean heat sink

1 Like

Circuit is very simple I give 5v 2a to nodemcu vin and Gnd…

1 Like

It’s normal for nodemcu module to heat up slightly. If you are confident about your schematics, then I think the heating may due to the clock frequency. At what clock frequency your nodemcu is clocked?

You can give up to 6V to the Vin pin. It’s completely fine to use a 5V input supply. But, the nodemcus are not 5V tolerant. Make sure there are appropriate voltage regulator on your sensors, if not use a logic level shifter.

Do you have a separate power supply for any of your sensors or modules?

1 Like

Has this problem been solved? Is it possible to provide more detailed information?

1 Like

Not sure if the problem is solved or not. The author of the topic has not yet updated his status. If you have any queries related to this topic, you may post them here or you may create a new topic.

1 Like

Nodemcu can heat a lot if u plug in a servo or something that requires at least 5V to power up. But nodemcu take and provides only 3.3V. so naturally u r forcing nodemcu to deliver more power than its capacity which will heat it up.

5 Likes