Maitaining power on an electronic system for some minutes after a power cut

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking about a circuit that can maintain power for some minutes after a power cut.
I am using a STM32 dev board that is connected to my computer via a USB cable. If I remove that connexion, that will turn off. I am wondering What circuit that will help to maintain a power for some minutes and where to implement it on my board. I am thiking about a capacitor but I am not sure about the result.

I will be glad to read your idea about it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

One option to maintain power for a short period of time after a power cut is to use a supercapacitor or a battery as a backup power source. A supercapacitor is a high-capacity capacitor that can store a large amount of electrical charge and can discharge it quickly. A battery can also be used, but it may not be as efficient as a supercapacitor in this application due to its relatively slow charge and discharge times.

To implement this circuit, you will need to connect the supercapacitor or battery in parallel with the power supply of the STM32 development board. This can be done by connecting the positive terminal of the supercapacitor or battery to the positive terminal of the power supply, and the negative terminal of the supercapacitor or battery to the negative terminal of the power supply. You will also need to add a switch or a relay to switch between the primary and backup power sources when the primary power source fails.

It’s important to note that the size of the supercapacitor or battery that you need will depend on the power requirements of the STM32 development board and the length of time that you want to maintain power for. You will also need to consider the voltage rating of the supercapacitor or battery and make sure it is compatible with the voltage of the power supply.

3 Likes

Do you mean something like this?

Yes, You can start by implementing this circuit.

Okay, thank you for your response !!!