Smart Dumpster model

Hey!
I’m new here.
I developed a smart Dumpster which sends data to thingspeak and can be analysed using matlab visualisation and its lids can be controlled using servo motor.
The lid on the top falls automatically when the bin is full and the lid on the bottom is operated through Blynk app.

I’m done with the prototype.
Thing is when I was trying to build a Dumpster as in attach the circuit to a cardboard box to make it seem like a dumpster the servo motor isn’t staying as in its not sticking to the lid.
And I’m not knowing what to do.
I tried everything from cello tape to hot glue.
I saw a similar project on the Instagram page and I was wondering if anyone could help
Hope I find some help here.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi Himaja,
Welcome to Engineers Asylum!!

It seems like you are having a mechanical issue rather than electronics issue. There are several method to open the lid using a motor.

What motor are you using? Does the motor able to stand the weight of the lid? Can you post a pic of the current mechanism you are using to lift the lid?

1 Like

Dear @Himaja,
First of all, welcome to Engineer’s Asylum. Thank you for sharing your project here.

Yes i think the problem is that the servo motor you are using cant generate enough torque to move the lid. Are you using cardboard as the lid?

Or

You might want to check your signal from your mc/mp to the servo motor. Does it transmit a correct signal?

Feel free to ask more :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to Engineer’s Asylum, @Himaja.

First of all you should check that you are sending the right signal to your servo. Remember that the maximum turning angle for a servo is usually 180º. A 100µF decoupling capacitor should be placed between the power terminals to avoid significant voltage drops on the microcontroller board.

Lastly, in case you are having mechanical problems I’d suggest you to make a new part and screw it to the servo head instead of using glue. (Glues don’t really work with moving parts)

If you need more specific solutions, just post a few pictures of your project so that we can have a better idea of your problem. Feel free to ask about whatever you need help with.

1 Like

Welcome to the fam brohter
Could u please elaborate what motor ur using or which metal is it made of i suggest u try using fevi quick or attach a small metal plate (or any other suitable material)to the cardboard using screws or something and then attch the motor to the plate

Exactly glue can also interfare with the electronics one when i used glue in one of my projects the glue seeped in the motor and the switch creating an insulation and making them useless

Hey @Himaja, it would help a great deal if you could take a picture of your device, that way we could assess the problem and also suggest better ways for you to improve it.

I haven’t made it yet I neither have the knowledge nor the materials to create such a device I’m just a high schooler I just had this idea and am researching on it I’ll try making it using Arduino but still I’m not much good at it