Generation of Electricity Through Speed Brakers

I have an idea which I feel would help a lot. Basically, we replace the traditional speed breakers with rollers that would be connected to a dynamo. When a vehicle crosses the speed breaker it would make them spin thus rotating the shaft of the dynamo generating electricity?

7 Likes

Hi Danny,
Your idea is great but we need to consider safety. If a vehicle passed fastly over the spinning speed breaker its traction will be lost and the result is dangerous. And the spinning speed breaker is terrible for motorcycles.

7 Likes

The idea is great. But how much power do you expect the system would generate? If whole system didn’t make significant amount power, the whole system is not at all reliable. @Cisco Any thoughts?

3 Likes

Hi @Danny_TheCount, and welcome to the forum!

What if i suggest to use some kind of a flexible speed bump, which holds bar/cylindrical magnets, and each magnets will be inside of a coil. Each time a vehicle passes the speed bump, the magnets will move down then up inside the coil, creating a change of magnetic flux. Thus we have an AC current. We convert it to DC and save it in battery/accu.

OR…

We use piezoelectric sensor.

5 Likes

Cool Idea! I think making speed bumps flexible makes speed bumps no speed bumps at all. Forget the speed bumps, we can use this idea to generate power straight from the road itself. Imagine if we could install this on a busy highway!

3 Likes

Hmm i was thinking to make a long series of speed bumps so the drive wont be that comfortable, forcing driver to reduce speed.

Btw how would you implement it on a long highway and how will it produce electricity?

We can make long series of these devices placed on the top of the road. But, the amount power these devices generate implies the reliability of the device!!

1 Like

Pranav as u say I had considered this issue and the solution to it is that the roller would be placed between 2 normal speed brakers to allow it to also do the work it’s meant for

1 Like

Dear @Danny_TheCount,

I am not a mechanical engineer, so i cant really be sure if the roller would have no significant effect on the car. But, i like your idea to put it between 2 speedbumps. I suggest you do a research and if, by chance, you are studying engineering, you may consult it further with your lecturer.

1 Like

Hello @Danny_TheCount , good idea, motion cogeneration units are a wise alternative. However, as @pranav mentioned you should think about possible risks. In case a driver pushes the brake pedal seconds before reaching the speed breaker, the slipping effect might cause a confusion for the ABS , resulting into a sudden intend to unblock the wheels and an unpleasant experience for drivers which, in case of overspeeding could suffer a loss of vehicle control.

But, your idea just needs some polishing. Here are a few tips:

Ideas
  • We face a problem of traction loss, but we can fix that by adding lateral gearboxes which will lower the speed of the main roller and that in fact will increase the rpm on the alternator behind the unit.

• We also need to take into account that heavy vehicles like trucks do exist too. What if we put a 20tn force right up against the roller? Of course, we want to ensure durability for the system. The cheapest way to solve this would be adding a pair of spring dumpers (calculations would be necessary) per side so that, in case of really heavy loads, the roller can move downwards and doesn’t end up broken or curved. (By this way, we can also prevent problems with extreme impacts for overspeeders)

*The maximum height allowed in this kind of devices is around 11 cm (4,4 in) (for safety reasons). So, that would be another desing requirement.

As you can see, there might be a future for this idea. Keep it up and feel free to ask whatever.

2 Likes

Ooo wow i loved this idea…

1 Like

I dont know much i’m just in high school right now i dont have that much knowledge but i expect it to atleast run the street lights and traffic lights

1 Like

I didnt completly understand that i’m in high school and dont have much knowledge on it but i appritiate ur reply thanks i will think about it(after i understand it :smile:

1 Like

@Alex I did consider that issue ,i have left a reply on @pranav 's comment please take a look

1 Like

I’ve seen it :grinning:. It’s great you keep improving your idea. Placing the roller in between two rubber speed breakers would be a simple solution for that (not going into more complicated details). I don’t know if the system would provide enough power for the street lights, but it could power LED traffic lights for sure. Don’t worry if you are just in highschool, you can ask about whatever on electronics on the forum. Just try to be specific and we’ll do our best to fulfil your doubts. Always remember that schools and universities won’t teach you everything. Developing your own projects and sharing them is the best way to learn here on the tech side :call_me_hand:.

3 Likes

Hey man that’s true but we can increase or decrease the power generation using transformers or gears

Placing transducers will also generate electricity

1 Like

It’s an interesting idea, but I think it’s better to use the up and down or skip method

What kind of transducers?

I didn’t get your idea. Could you be more precise? I did’t get what do you mean by the up and down or skip method?